Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chicken Marsala

Chicken Marsala is another of those recipes I've been making for over 25 years. It disappeared from menus for several decades, but I am delighted to see it make a comeback. Back then, I used veal but recently I have replaced it with more available, more affordable and more politically correct chicken with great success. The impressive, finished product may look complicated but making this dish is quick and simple.


I typically have all of the ingredients in my pantry. Since Marsala wine is a fortified wine, I simply use 1 cup and store the remainder for the next time. I embarrassingly admit that there were times I kept an open bottle of Marsala wine for over a year before using it again and must say I couldn't tell the difference. I also confess that I have used canned mushrooms.....not something I am proud of, but it worked in a pinch.


Ingredients:
§     4 boneless chicken breasts liberally dusted with flour
§     2 tablespoons olive oil
§     2 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced
§     2 - 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
§     1 cup Marsala wine
§     1/2 cup chicken broth
§     1 teaspoon dried oregano
§     1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
§     Salt and freshly ground pepper


Sprinkle Chicken with salt and pepper and dust liberally with flour. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add flour coated chicken cutlets and saute on one side until golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes.


Turn chicken and add mushrooms. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes until the mushrooms soften. Add garlic, oregano, Marsala wine, chicken broth, salt and pepper.


Adding the liquid to the warm olive oil and flour combination will create a beautiful, rich and thick sauce.


Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve over pasta. For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, go to Chicken Marsala. Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic Rhonda!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...great recipe, actually all your previous recipes have been outstanding....looking forward to the next one....
    Manny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Chicken Francaise and it was delicious. This one is next - maybe Saturday night because we're having company for dinner. I'll give you credit - promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night and it was delicious! I did double the sauce recipe as we like lots of sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, but I think this recipe is incomplete. It doesn't say how long to cook the chicken once all the ingredients are added. Would it be possible to include the time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, but I think this recipe is incomplete. It doesn't say how long to cook the chicken once all the ingredients are added. Would it be possible to include the time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cooking time always depends on the thickness of your chicken, but it should not take more than 2 or 3 minutes per side

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does this freeze and reheat well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those dishes I like to make before I take my RV out. I will freeze it and it heats up wonderfully in the the microwave after I defrost it (I like to have all my meals frozen so that the refrigerator doesn't have to work as hard when I start her up!). I would make the pasta the same time this dish is getting reheated.

      Delete
  9. Are those breasts pounded thin to cook thoroughly in such a short time? Or are you simmering in sauce for another 15 minutes or more?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made this tonight and it was a big hit I will save and make again but I had some fresh thyme I added about 1/2 tsp.to the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read this! I have some fresh thyme I need to use, will add a pinch. I'm making this tonight! Also we like a creamy sauce so I will be adding a bit of heavy cream to the pan right before serving. It's very yummy~

      Delete
  11. I just made this tonight for my hubby and me, to try out for a company dish. Most definitely! It was easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete