Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hot Corn Dip

Twice a month I play poker with friends.  The first is a ladies game we play in the “Women’s Game Room” at the country club.  There are 6 – 8 women who get together for a low stakes, friendly game where the conversation is more about birdies and bogies than poker, but I love these women and look forward to the game.  The second game is hosted by my friend and co-foodie, Michael.  At this game there are 9 men and me.  I can’t begin to tell you about the conversation at that table, and I look forward to it every month. 

Michael always cooks dinner and everyone is required to bring something.  Most show up with a bag of chips, 6-pack of beer, M&Ms or a box from a local bakery, but we can always count on Mary to send a delicious casserole with Bill and I take the opportunity to try out some new recipes and always bring something homemade.  It’s a pleasure to cook for these men.  They are so appreciative and always complimentary. 


This week I brought my Hot Corn Dip.  With the amount of attention and number of compliments this dip received, you would have thought it took a long time and a lot of effort to prepare.  It is not one of my original recipes but it is one of my favorite go-to dips and has become one of My Most Requested Recipes.

It is easy to prepare, contains ingredients I always have on hand, and I can assemble it ahead of time and bake it at the last minute.  Nowadays fresh corn in the husk is available all year long so I rarely use canned corn, but for this dish I make an exception. 


Ingredients:
§     2 cans of Mexicorn, drained
§     1 1/2 teaspoons Accent
§     8 ounces sour cream
§     1 cup Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
§     15 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
§     1 small jar of pimentos, drained
§     4 – 5 green onions, chopped
§     1 chopped jalapeno pepper
§     1 teaspoon garlic powder
§     Kosher salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix together the Mexicorn, Accent, sour cream, mayonnaise, 12 ounces of grated cheddar cheese, pimentos, green onions, chopped jalapeno and garlic powder.
 
I like a little spice so I add all of the seeds in the jalapeno pepper.  If you don't enjoy the heat, add only a few of the seeds.
 
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
 
Spray a casserole baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and add corn mixture.
Bake approximately 20 - 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
 
Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 3 ounces of shredded cheese.  The warmth of the dip will melt the cheese.
 
Serve with corn chips.  For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, go to Hot Corn Dip.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment