Sunday, September 3, 2017

Creamed Corn

When my friends, Brenda and Manfred, showed up with a trunk filled with fresh vegetables from their family garden, I must say I was a bit overwhelmed.  The five huge baskets of produce made my kitchen look like a farmer's market stall.  With so many vegetables to inspire me, I first made the Summer Squash Casserole recipe I posted last month.  


This month, it’s all about corn.  If you have been following my blog for any length of time, you will know that corn is my favorite vegetable. Whether it’s fresh, frozen or canned, I use it as often as I can.  In the summertime, we have access to sweet, fresh corn, so that’s what I use in this recipe.  But if fresh corn is not in season, frozen corn works just as well. (Just don't tell Brenda and Manfred).   If you don’t like heat, remove the seeds and membrane from the jalapeno or substitute a poblano pepper which will adds a depth of flavor you'll love without the spice.. One thing is for sure, even though it's quick and easy to make, whenever I make this creamed corn, I double the recipe as it freezes beautifully.


Ingredients:
§     16 ounces fresh or frozen corn kernels
§     1 medium onion, chopped finely
§     2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
§     1 4-ounce can diced green chilis
§     1 jalapeno, finely chopped (remove the membrane and seeds if you don’t want heat)
§     1 teaspoon garlic powder
§     1 teaspoon onion powder
§     1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
§     1 cup chicken broth
§     2 tablespoons yellow corn meal
§     Salt and pepper to taste
§     1 cup heavy cream
§     1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese or Mexican Blended Cheese


In a large sauce pan, sauté chopped onions in olive oil until translucent. 

Add the corn, canned chilis, jalapeno (or poblano), chicken broth and spices to the sauce pan.  If you don’t want the creamed corn to be too spicy, you may want to remove the seeds from the jalapeno before adding.  Stir well and bring to a boil. 


Once at a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and add the corn meal while stirring constantly.  Cook for about five minutes or until the sauce thickens.  Add the heavy cream and cook for one minute while stirring well.
 

Remove from heat and add the cheese.  Serve warm.  For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, go to  Creamed CornEnjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment